Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Marcus Brinkmann marcus at gnu.org
Mon Apr 8 22:25:10 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:50:00PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> If everything can be implemented so easily in Hurd then why nobody
> implements these things ?

yeah, uhm, but we do.  I mean, we have a POSIX compatible system that
implements all of its funcationality with translators, and new features
are added constantly.  Just as an example, nbd clients (network block devices)
were added simply by adding a new store type, and now all filesystems
like ext2fs, ufs, isofs etc can use nbd servers to run from.

There are plenty of such examples in the Hurd, were adding a new feature
was straightforward and implemented without much changes to the existing
framework.

If you ask why the particular feature you desire is not already added or
why there is not a queue of people waiting to add it for you, well, then
the standard answer is that we accept good quality patches.The truth is
that easiness is not the only factor.  A lot of people write features
for the Linux kernel although they face serious obstackles  in doing so,
and the end result will not be quite as elegant as the equivalent
solution in the Hurd.  The reason is usually because the benefit
outweighs the disadvantage for them (benefits like larger market share
of Linux, or the existance of other important features in the system
we lack).

Thanks,
Marcus