Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Sat Apr 6 20:55:26 UTC 2002

El Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 10:27:20PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers deia:

> That was actually what I intended to say with my mail. If we stop
> patents now microsoft can't play the same tactics in Europe and we can
> probably develop the patented things in Europe. For the USA patents, I
> personally don't care about them, as I don't live in the USA and don't
> have any plans to go there. Yes, it's a bad situation, but IMHO we
> need to be sure that the EU isn't going that bad way first.

Ok. I quite agree (I think we would do well to care for the USA  _after_
we solve our own problems).

> > so nobody knows how threatening they are until you come back from court.
> > But something like 30000 software patents have been granted by the EPO.
> > I'm told they're enough to frighten people and stop them from writing or
> > publishing software sometimes.
>
> I didn't know this, I hope they aren't threatening at all. :(

The fact you can't be sure it's a threat in itself. Of course it will get
worse if they're legalised.

Since you didn't know, you may want to see the European Software
Patent Horror Gallery

http://swpat.ffii.org/patents/index.en.html

--
Xavi Drudis Ferran