Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Sat Apr 6 20:27:20 UTC 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 09:32:52PM +0200, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> El Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 09:21:02PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers deia:
> >
> > important part of the world, but it isn't *the* world. We don't have
> > patents in Europe and hopefully never get them. This means patents
>
> I think our time is not for hoping but for helping hope with some
> action. The directive proposal 2002/0047 to introduce software patents
> in Europe has been written (mostly) by the BSA, has been blessed by the
> Comission, and is in the European Parliament and the Council. We better
> make sure our elected politicians know what to vote.

That was actually what I intended to say with my mail. If we stop
patents now microsoft can't play the same tactics in Europe and we can
probably develop the patented things in Europe. For the USA patents, I
personally don't care about them, as I don't live in the USA and don't
have any plans to go there. Yes, it's a bad situation, but IMHO we
need to be sure that the EU isn't going that bad way first.

> And Europe _has_ software patents. It's just that they aren't legal,

Let's keep it illegal. :)

> so nobody knows how threatening they are until you come back from court.
> But something like 30000 software patents have been granted by the EPO.
> I'm told they're enough to frighten people and stop them from writing or
> publishing software sometimes.

I didn't know this, I hope they aren't threatening at all. :(

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects