RMS' archievements as seen by LWN readers

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Nov 29 19:18:08 UTC 2001

http://lwn.net/2001/1129/letters.php3

Err... you know that I read LWN sometimes.
For the people not being regular readers I like to share
the little story about RMS' archievements.

Prelude: RMS was awarded the Takeda Award (~800 000 Euro)
         together with two other people.
	 Dave Winer does not think he deserves the money,
	 but SF might...

Complication:
	The tech might have reported the wrong amount.. it's only 1/3 for
	him thinks RMS.

Action:  LWN reports about this and a couple of readers
	 write letters to stand to defend RMS:
	 http://lwn.net/2001/1129/letters.php3

| From:	 Richard Kay <rich at copsewood.net>
| Richard Stallman (RMS) has probably done more than anyone to promote
| software reuse. In this respect his GPL represents one of the most
| effective works of software engineering ever written

| From:	 "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com>
| I've watched "open source" software for a very long time; I go back
| to at least 1982 on Usenet, and a bit before that in working with
| Unix, Xenix, and their ilk.  I am right here to tell you that the
| driving force behind the creation and expansion of large,
| multi-programmer projects in that arena has been Stallman's General
| Public License.

Happy end?

It depends on all the tiny little things that this pointer on
discussion@ is not able to summarize completly...