Linux on Windows

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Nov 1 17:34:16 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefano Maffulli" <stef at zoomata.com>
To: <discussion at fsfeurope.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Linux on Windows

> On Wednesday 31 October 2001 7:10 pm, MJ Ray wrote:
> > People must wake up and realise that having files in MS Word format is
not
> > a good idea.  If they do not have MS Word any more (eg MS invokes and
> > enforces their termination clauses), they effectively do not have their
> > data any more.  How we can make them realise that?  Suggestions, please!
>
> I participated recently to a conference where there was one guy
demonstrating
> that files saved in MSWord format contain all information of previous
> savings. He brought an example of a Word file used for describing a
project
> he made some time before. The file had pics and tables, headers, footes
etc.
> He printed the doc with word. Then opened the same file in Open/StarOffice
> (some version, don't remember exactly): the file opened perfectly showing
the
> same header, footers ecc BUT the pictures where the very first ones he put
in
> when he began editing the document.

disabling the 'fast save' feature in Word will prevent this 'feature' from
continuing to affect the history of your documents.  It's enabled by default
in Office 97, but IIRC it's disabled by default in Office 2000, and is
definitely disabled by default in Office xp.

Interesting to see that SO couldn't cope with that type of saved .doc file
... more undocumented nasties.

--
 _ __   ___ _   _ _ __ ___ @well.com  William Anderson www.well.com/~neuro
| '_ \ / _ \ | | | '__/ _ \  "The thing I love most about deadlines is the
|_| |_|\___|\__,_|_|  \___/        go past." - Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)