Linux on Windows

Benedikt Wildenhain benedikt at wildenhain.net
Thu Nov 1 00:08:24 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 06:40:53PM +0100, Josef Dalcolmo wrote:
> I can run MS Word only on MS Windows because of Bill Gates closed policy.
... and on windows, I did not try it with MS Word, but there is a well -
working emulator basiliskII, that allows you to run macos on pcs.

> I can run Octave only on Linux because of RMS's closed policy?
>
> I thought freedom prevails because of its openness.
ACK.

Furthermore, the availability of open source programs for windows can
help to migrate to linux. IMHO it is much easier to replace programs
step by step than to replace everything at once. When all the important
applications are replaced by free ones, you can easily change to linux.

Another possibility would be "windows on linux": you can use wine to
emulate Windows, or even worse use a real Windows inside your linux
system. This solution would be very slow, perhaps also unstable. People
would possibly think of linux as an slow an unstable operating system.

--
May the tux be with you. - Benedikt Wildenhain
http://snsg.org !Owy.],MM)Im04\*xX4!a)PAWD`<7>}[@\*>C<FZ'"VJ#9W,G#y*Xcjw