RfD: FSFe-education [FSFE projects]

Frank de Lange fsfe-frank at unternet.org
Tue May 22 11:03:04 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:28:22AM +0100, Lord Alistair Davidson, part time deity wrote:
> Olivier Berger wrote:
> >
> > This solves the problem of  system adminsitration, but not of the
> > educational applications, that teachers and students really need.
>
> The trouble after that is the desktop. There is a very powerful argument
> that says that the students should be learning to use Windows, because
> that's waht most of them will use at work.

But it is not the task of schools to learn students the latest 'tricks', is it?
They are there to give them insight into the subject matter, and teach them how
to find their way in new and unknown systems (and situations and problems and
...). You do not learn to read from a glossy brochure, nor do you learn to
write by writing cease-and-desist letters, even though these may all be
activities which are somewhat relevant to 'real life' (unfortunately).

So using GNU/Linux (or BSD or any other open system, it is the openness which
counts here) for teaching purposes actually fits the bill much better than
using a closed system. In my, not so humble, opinion...

Cheers//Frank
--
 ## o o\    /     Frank de Lange     \