GNU or Not GNU

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Fri May 18 09:12:52 UTC 2001

greve at gnu.org said:
> but I believe we should push the ideal that Linux can exist with
> diversity in software licensing: Some GPL, some BSD, some commercial
> and closed, and some between the two extremes.

So why do we even consider having a logo with the Gnu horns on it?
I see a contradiction here.

Personally, I tend to agree with Georg and want to see the FSFE supporting all
forms of free software licensing, however I would like to see the GNU world
properly acknowledged for their great contribution as well.

There seem to be some more and some less radical positions on this mailing
list with respect to the economical aspects of software, some even seem to
want to go beyond the GPL and to restrict or prohibit commercial distribution
of free software. I believe free software would best helped with a more
liberal approach, more or less in the sense of supporting everything that
could also be included in a Debian distribution.

- Josef