Development project to visualize the vitality of the developers community

Frank de Lange frank at unternet.org
Tue May 15 23:12:16 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:14:27PM +0200, Henrion Benjamin wrote:
> > The system would ideally consist in a web site with a database of each
> > developer's last known location (and status / ways he can be joined,
> > etc.), and a graphical representation system. This system could be
> > implemented by providing ways for developers to enter latitude and
> > longitude coordinates in a form (which they could get from public web
> > sites converting city to coordinates... any available ?). It would
> > then give the user access to maps of earth/continent/countries,
>
> Lists of coordinates exists, I've one in a series of Atlas on paper, but
> not in text or db format. If someone knows (Bernard?)...

There is a nice system which does mapping from IP to geo coordinates: netgeo.
It us used for several projects I know of, eg. the Folding at home project
(http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/Cosm/maps.html). You can find netgeo
at CAIDA:

http://www.caida.org/tools/utilities/netgeo/

Cheers//Frank