press release critique

Marc SCHAEFER schaefer at alphanet.ch
Fri May 4 13:24:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Jaime E . Villate wrote:

> Which is why we should be flaming those who use other distributions, instead
> of flaming those who advocate earning money with free software ;-)

On that subject, yes, I personnally have no problem to earn money with
free software, in one of the following areas:

   - making software distributed (reseller of software)
        I for example make Debian available at a quite low cost,
        enough to pay about the work, still. If I wasn't doing that,
        there wouldn't be anyone doing it like I do in Switzerland.

   - writing software on demand (`creation')
        I have already charged companies money (paying my time), to
        develop specific free software that they knew would be then
        available on the Internet as GPLed software.

   - modifying software (`reengineering')
        I have already been paid by companies to modify free software.

However, I would like that FSFE describe in a confusionless way the
distinction between free (as in beer) and free (as in above).