press release critique

Werner Koch koch at fsfeurope.org
Fri May 4 14:02:21 UTC 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> However, I would like that FSFE describe in a confusionless way the
> distinction between free (as in beer) and free (as in above).

Check out the 4 basic freedoms.  RMS talks about these in every
speech on Free Software and of course you will find them at
www.gnu.org and www.fsfeurope.org.  IMHO everyone in the Free
Software community should know them as well has the basic syntax of
his favorite programming language.

I think it is in most cases pretty easy to compare some software
against the freedoms 0 to 3.  They don't say anything about money or
other ways of compensation - why should they?

  Werner