Logos - something entirely new

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Fri Mar 23 13:04:11 UTC 2001

 || On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:54:01 +0100
 || Markus Fleck <fleck at xmailer.informatik.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

 >> The logo is purely text based (which is a benefit for many reasons
 >> like simplicity and no problem with symbolisms) and should be easy
 >> to recognize in any size.
 >> [...]
 >> http://www.gnu.org/people/greve/fsfe/fsfe.html

 mf> Hmmm... how about using a variation of the new FSF logo,

 mf>   http://www.gnu.org/graphics/fsf-logo.html ???

 mf> I must admit that I don't particularly like the type face used
 mf> for the new FSF logo, but as the logos of the FSF and the FSF
 mf> Europe turn out to be sufficiently similar, it might make sense
 mf> to use a common "base CI".

Well. So far the FSF didn't really have a CI... these are things noone
ever thought about until now. If we thought about using a modified FSF
logo, we couldn't change the font, though, as that would defy the very
purpose of it.

It does show one thing, though. We apparently have a confusion on this
list about what a logo is. A logo is normally text-based and
non-graphical. The only logo I can think of right now that is
graphical is the one of Apple. And that is how simple it would have to
be. Also the association must be clear... I don't see how we could
produce something THAT understandable by everyone for the FSFE.

Adding a "Europe" to the FSF logo would make it significantly bigger
(I think it's very much at the verge of being too big already) and
also it would be too much text to read. It probably should not be more
text than "FSF Europe" - since "Software" and "Foundation" are
relatively long words.

ADDITIONALLY to a real logo we will want some graphics/graphical
representation of the idea that we could use on things that have
enough space and the web pages and such. So far the things done by
Anja come closest to this, imho.

But this doesn't solve our need for a logo. I just said this to make
sure everyone understand these are DIFFERENT things. I haven't
understood this fully until recently myself, so my old postings were
probably partially misleading.

Oh: and I also fully agree we should finally get it moving. ;-)

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>