European DMCA

Nick Hockings s96121272 at op.up.ac.za
Tue Jul 31 18:26:03 UTC 2001

Quoting Anders Lindback <anders at igiro.se>:
> You cant make a competing product using GPL. If you make a viewer you
> are then in violation and will have to spend time in jail. The only way
> for you to view the e-book is by buying the e-book viewer.
>
> By controlling the format they would get a monopoly in the market.

Yes but only in the maket of "their own copyright ebooks".
Anyone reading one of these books without a license is breaking
existing copyright law. The new law makes helping somebodyelse
to do so, an offence.

The real solution is FDL/GPL ebooks. Thats why we have the Nupedia
free-encyclopedia in the GNU project, see www.nupedia.com

One good starting point for free-ebooks is to get many schools
and universities to collaborate in producing teaching notes
under the FDL. Nupedia provides a framework and a team to help
do this. I urge those of you at universities to look for accademics
of all disciplines willing to do this. It would take a very small
percentage of accademics in each discipline to produce a set of texts
better than could be written in any single institution.

When it comes to network communication protocols incorporating
"licence verification"/"intelectual property management"
do we want or need to help people disregard copyright?
Surely if someone wishes to use a non-free program they must
accept the consequences of doing so. If a prorietary software
company tries to use this as an excuse to prevent networking with
free operating systems then they are in breach of monopoly law.

Rather we should use this tightening of the copyright noose to
emphasise the importance of freedom and copyleft for the
general public.

Nick Hockings

Nick Hockings