Usability / colours

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Tue Jul 24 07:47:42 UTC 2001

wdesmet at yucom.be said:
> sys. And I think there's a problem when people find black screens
> "scary" (making them blue would probably not help either ;)

I agree, however the choice of colours of some applications is rather
suboptimal, to put it mildly. Lynx for example or Jed have colour settings
that not only offend the eye but are very difficult to read (like dark blue
letters on black background). Both can be configured differently, but I think
there should be better default. Note that even a colour blind person found the
settings terrible. Colour should be an enhancement, but not necessary for the
usability!

I do not find black backgrounds scary, since I have used computers since they
all had black background on the screens, but I do find them more tiring on the
eyes. Unfortunately, the default colour choices of some applications in a
terminal with non-black background setting seem not very good. Fortunately
this all seems to apply mostly to older (but still useful) apps.

- Josef