Usability

John Peter Tapsell tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 15:04:18 UTC 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, you wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:05:42PM +0200, Anders Lindback wrote:
> > Alistair Davidson skrev:

> > > That's a shame. It's nice to have an answer to the question though.
> > > Thought: maybe we could get a company to sponsor them (I'm sure IBM or
> > > whoever would love the PR).
>
> > The cost of a usability test is dirt cheap.
>
> Compared to the impact it is cheap.
>
> > Its easy to make your own test if you know what how to do it.
> > The truth is that you only need a sample of 5 persones and some time.
>
> Actually my company is offering usability tests
> so I know what is necessary.
> Setting them up and use the results takes a lot of time.
> I do not have time to do it for the FSFE
> as administrative things keep me busy.
>
> > A simple usebility test should find somthing like 90% of all problems.
>
> You need to work out what to test.
>
> > The problem is not money, it's a problem of too little knowledge among
> > programmers about this issue.
>
> Agreed.
> I never said that it is a monetary problem.
> We are lacking people with usability know-how and time to help.
> Anybody feels like organising usability tests is welcome.

My boss is a leading expert on UI (if there is such a thing)... I could talk to
him... if i knew what kinda things to ask..

> 	Bernhard
>
> --
> Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
> The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
> Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure            (ffii.org)
> FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or
15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when
they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'" --Mike Godwin