Usability

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 23 13:29:07 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:05:42PM +0200, Anders Lindback wrote:
> Alistair Davidson skrev:
> > Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > From my perspective we do not have the ressources yet to run
> > > or buy usability tests.
> >
> > That's a shame. It's nice to have an answer to the question though.
> > Thought: maybe we could get a company to sponsor them (I'm sure IBM or
> > whoever would love the PR).

> The cost of a usability test is dirt cheap.

Compared to the impact it is cheap.

> Its easy to make your own test if you know what how to do it.
> The truth is that you only need a sample of 5 persones and some time.

Actually my company is offering usability tests
so I know what is necessary.
Setting them up and use the results takes a lot of time.
I do not have time to do it for the FSFE
as administrative things keep me busy.

> A simple usebility test should find somthing like 90% of all problems.

You need to work out what to test.

> The problem is not money, it's a problem of too little knowledge among
> programmers about this issue.

Agreed.
I never said that it is a monetary problem.
We are lacking people with usability know-how and time to help.
Anybody feels like organising usability tests is welcome.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)