User friendly Free Software Desktops (was: Very Worried at MS .net)

Alistair Davidson lord_inh at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 01:50:36 UTC 2001

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:11:34AM +0100, markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
>
> > > What we need to really start focusing on is coming up with new ideas for
> > > improving user friendliness IMHO.
>
> Ever checked out XFCE and Gnustep?
>         http://www.xfce.org/
>
> Gnustep aims to recreate the features of the most user- and
> developer friendly system I have ever seen. The project is almost
> ignored in the public, but they make steady progress.

This is the thing. They're mostly copying Apple, not providing the sorts
of major new innovations we need in order to outdo Microsoft, Apple, and
BeOS in terms of useability. We do need to imitate the successful GUIs,
but we also need to introduce brand new ideas of our own.

--
Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]
Rick's World: http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html