Smoothwall not free software

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 00:46:13 UTC 2001

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:

> As far as I am aware, 0.9.9 beta is not GPL.

I concur with this.  I have just been in discussion with some of their
developers on IRC and although they *say* it is GPL, it clearly does
not comply with the requirements about offering the source in clause
3.  Their defence is that it is not released, but I am unsure why this
makes a difference if the project is being distributed.

We must hope that the full version is released under the GPL, although
recent messages posted to uk.comp.os.linux about its poor security
make me wonder how useful this project is at this time.