Smoothwall not free software

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Aug 28 23:02:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 01:25:47PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Richard Morrell et al are contactable via the smoothwall.org website I
>     believe.
>
> It isn't feasible for me to browse a web site--could you tell me his
> email address, please?

Sure, sorry. Richard's address is richard at smoothwall.org. I believe
richard at caveonet.com should also reach him, as will richard at linux.com. For
your reference, he lists his phone number as +44 2380 330 430.

>     to count you as a personal friend.  He did change the 0.9.9beta
>     licence back to GPL, although I am not aware of anyone with the
>     complete source.
>
> Does this mean the problem has been solved (at least for now)?
> It could mean that, but I would like to be sure.  Could you confirm?

As far as I am aware, 0.9.9 beta is not GPL. I think they have removed the
modifications to the licence, but it is still unclear to what software the
licence applies. Certainly Richard Morrell is unable to change the licence
on a whim - the installer, for example, is copyright soley Lawrence Manning
- but it may be that the SmoothWall development team have some to an
agreement over this.

0.9.9 is out 'for real' on the 1st September - this should probably be
checked thoroughly. The 0.9.9 directories are already up on the mirrors, but
contain only Lada ISOs (the beta). 0.9.9 has already been semi-announced.

> Would someone please download all the available recent versions of
> SmoothWall and save them?

I will save 0.9.8 (both ISO and 'cvsstuff' - the source release), it may
also be wise for other people to make copies. 0.9.9beta may be of limited
use, given it's binary only. I know other people with copies also, esp. the
binary distributions that are still on coverdisks (0.9.8 again).

For a point release though, the difference between 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 seems
quite radical - although, perhaps it's only the GUI that has undergone major
surgery.

Cheers,

Alex.