Information about the Free Software Foundation Europe

Jonas Oberg jonas at gnu.org
Thu Nov 30 21:15:48 UTC 2000

"Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]" <lordylordy at mad.scientist.com> writes:

    I think we need to come up with a simple, concise (one or two sentence)
    explanation of Free Software that a layperson can understand.

I'm not convinced that you can actually do this.  If you're talking about
the actual software and what constitutes free software, that's a simple thing
to answer, but the concept of free software is usually much harder.

I usually like to compare free software with the free sharing of food recipies
between people, and the closed source model to having the car of your hood
welded shut to prevent you from fixing it.