GNU GPL and European law

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Mon Nov 27 15:01:02 UTC 2000

Hi all,

first off - congrats on forming FSFEurope. I'm qutie interested to see
what this evolves to.

But I got a question:
Just the other day I found out that in Germany, there is no such thing
as a "Copyright" - the "Copyright" is an american thing. The closest
thing in Germany would be the "Urheberrecht", IIRC.

Now my question is, if there is no equivalent to the US-Copyright, does
the GNU GPL hold in Europe?

Of course, IANAL, so I'd be interested in some responses from people
with a clue, who are able to explain things in laymens terms.

-Jan

P.S.: Of course I also offer my help on various tasks for the FSF.
<cheap plug>
See my webpage for stuff I did and can do ;-)
</cheap plug>

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Whoa, you can't, like, own property, maaaaaaaaan... - Hippie
Of course I can - I'm not a freaking hippie! - Bender