Missing the point - Re: Tax-deductability of donation in Europe

Andy Fletcher andy_offsite at cyberware.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 23:08:21 UTC 2000

I read in one of the Greenpeace mailings some time ago an explanation from
them about the consequences of having charitable status and why they didn't
go down that route.

The short version is that charitable organisations have restrictions in the
way that they can operate in the political arena, this also applies to
lobbying for specific aims. In their case it would impact on their
environmental campaigns and I expect the same would apply to FSF-Europe
when it comes to fighting for changes to National and European laws.

I will dig through my old paperwork and see if I can find it again.  If not
I will drop them a line and ask.

regards

Andy