Information about the Free Software Foundation Europe

Armin Herbert Armin.Herbert at gmx.net
Fri Dec 1 13:28:01 UTC 2000

Hi.

On Donnerstag, 30. November 2000 21:09, Lord [INSERT NAME HERE] wrote:

> I think we need to come up with a simple, concise (one or two sentence)
> explanation of Free Software that a layperson can understand. If someone
> asks me "What is Free Software?", I don't want to have to launch into an
> explanation of technical details (remember, many people are not even
> aware of what "source code" means). Try as I might, I can't come up with
> an explanaiton of this kind. Can anyone else?

Hm, I don't agree with this. Nowadays lawyers jugde about even more
complicated things like webbrowsers that are built into an OS. Not to say
that they do it well, but I think it shouldn't be too complicated to
explain the facts to a lawyer.

Software = A program that can be run by a computer
Source Code = The text a programmer has written that can be translated by a
compiler so that computers can run it.
Free Software = Software that is delivered along with its Source Code and
the guarantee that anyone is allowed to run, reproduce, modify, translate
etc the Code as long as he keeps the copyright.

Better definitions can be taken from the GPL.

--
... to go where no user's gone before.