Politics and freedom (was: Information [...])

guillaume pernot gpernot at free.fr
Thu Dec 7 08:37:27 UTC 2000

> Subject: Re: Politics and freedom (was: Information [...])
> Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:17:27 +0000
> From: "Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]" <lordylordy at mad.scientist.com>
> CC: discussion at fsfeurope.org
>
> "Sinisa \"Sigma14\" \"187.64.230.77\" Milicic" wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > >
> > > Since I've seen no replies to this, yet, I'm posting mine.

> > > While I don't find it bad, either, I think the issues of libre [1]
> > > software are detached ("orthogonal") from political movements. I don't
> > > oppose your (or anyone else's) political ideas, I'd just better not
> > > mix them in the fight for libre programs. What I state in my talks

ouch, I *do* think that free software struggle has strong political
implications, as it faces the issues of (intellectual) property and
freedom. Such concepts are, by essence, political ? I don't see any
"rightism" in that, as right-wing people think property _is_ freedom...
I don't say right-wing people shouldn't support free-software: they have
other benefits in the struggle, e.g. free software can stretch
production costs. Each of us has his/her own motivations...
That's why opensource "alternative" rises and gets liked by bosses.
opensource, it's free (like beer) software :(

My point is here, to insist not to de-politize "libre software"
movement.

> > dictatorships). Anarchism does exclude democracy, but only because it
> > preaches the abolition of the state.
>
> And capitalism.
And boss ;)

> I know being an anarchist is just so cool, but just anybody doesn't
> qualify...  :-)
you're so right ;)

keep the flame !
a++