[WikiCaretakers] Outdated pages

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Mon Mar 14 21:52:14 UTC 2022

Hi Matthias,

Am Samstag, 12. März 2022, 06:53:20 CET schrieb Matthias Kirschner:
> I just stumbled over some old pages, and just deleted one without much
> content at all, I am wondering if it is fine to also delete pages like:
> https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/Hardware/OpenPandora which were setup
> and then not further developed and the quality is not really that well.
>
> What is your take?

With our previous wiki cleanups, we've been very relaxed in actually removing
pages. Mostly, because the wiki was quite very unstructured at that time, and
sorting out the pages would have increased the workload quite a bit compared
to "just" organizing them.
That said, we did remove pages when they obviously did not contain any useful
content.

My personal take is that page removal usually is a very nuanced process. I
tend to err on the side of caution (as I'm a little bit of a digital hoarder
myself), but use your own judgement and be bold ;-)

If things are not clear cut, I usually try contacting the author and/or flag
the page by adding one of these two categories:

https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/DeletionCandidate
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/ImproveThisPage

> And do you from time to time do some cleanup on the
> wiki / flag obviously outdated pages?

No, not for some time now...

Cheers,
  Johannes