WIPO Copyright Treaty - Worldwide DMCA (was: European DMCA)

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnu.org
Tue Aug 7 11:56:16 UTC 2001

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:24:28AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>> I'm unsure how to respond to the rest of your points as the
>> differences between copyright and IP law aren't clear to me today.
>> Maybe someone else will do better.

Alex:
> IP is the wider law, governing copyrights, trademarks, etc. Copyright is
> merely asserting authorship.
> intellectual-property.gov.uk is pretty good.

Actually, "intellectual property" is a buzzword. There is no "IP law"
to my knowledge, but there are laws about copyright, patents,
trademarks.

"intellectual property" is the term information owners use to spread
the idea that owning information is a natural thing just like private
property (yes, some of you may disagree, but you get my point
anyways).

The truth is different: copyright, patents, trademarks are legal hacks
designed to help society as a whole; they are not natural rights and
they must not be lumped together as they act in different realms with
different means.

His words, not mine.
</a>