[WikiCaretakers] Where to start hacking?

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Thu Apr 19 22:46:04 CEST 2018

Hi Erik,

Am Mittwoch, 18. April 2018, 12:13:18 CEST schrieb Erik Grun:
> I am part of the Fellowship Group in Berlin and we want to do
> a hack session, where we want to improve the FSFE website and the wiki
> in general and our personal wiki (and some edu-related) pages in
> particular.

Thank you for doing this!

> @all
> Are there any pages, that need improvement, where we should
> take look at?

There are quite a few pages that need improvement, but we don't have a list
currently. Generally speaking, it is probably best to concentrate on those
pages that you have some background knowledge at first. Chances are that you
run out of time before you run out of work :-p

Also, if you have people with a good command of the English language: proof-
reading is underrated but is quite an important task.

> Is there anything that we should keep in mind while working on
> the website?

A starting point for the wiki would be here:
https://wiki.fsfe.org/TechDocs/Wiki

or maybe also the slides from my WikiCaretakers talk at the FSFE Summit:
https://conf.qtcon.org/en/qtcon/public/events/760.html

The TechDocs/Wiki page covers the wiki as it is now. The talk/slides give an
overview of the things that changed compared to the "old" (pre WikiCaretakers)
wiki.

> Are there things that we should especially avoid?

Actually, thinking of this question, I do have some specific part of the wiki
that could be improved: Categories.

Compared to the "old way", the wiki nowadays is much more hierarchical in
nature. This also means that while previously categories were used to group
things together this is now achieved by putting related content within the
same namespace.

When we started the "new" wiki, I tried to encourage this by having a page for
each category that describes what pages should be in it. You can see this e.g.
here:
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/CountryTeam
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Category/Portal

However, since then the situation has somewhat deteriorated, and some
categories from the old wiki have been reintroduced blindly and/or lack a
description.

Maybe you can improve this situation a little while working on the other
pages…

> Is there anything else, that you'd like to mention?

If you see a problem but can't fix it right away, mark it for the next wiki
sprint by adding it in the category [[Category/ImproveThisPage]]

Have fun!
  Johannes