[WikiCaretakers] Wiki slowness

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 16 15:08:23 CET 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 07:16:24PM +0100, Thomas Doczkal wrote:
> The machine seems to be quite busy. Currently the machine has a load of
> 12 and apache is really busy...

I currently suspect, that there is some crash condition in Moin which leads up
to this. I do not think this is simple overload, but rather a code path which
get triggered on certain occasions. The load decreases when the underlying
scripts finally terminate, or get killed off due to connection timeout (and
when the user gives up hitting F5).

> Furthermore something seems hack the root account on SSH...

This is perfectly normal background radiation for any ssh daemon on the public
internet. It is also safe to say, that those attempts will never succeed,
because we do not even allow password authentication.

Though we can install fail2ban anyway.

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉