[WikiCaretakers] redirects in wiki

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 2 12:54:59 CET 2017

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:39:21AM +0100, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> Erik has rightly pointed out to me that as I moved some things in the
> wiki, old links broke. However, I don't remember this always being the
> case. I remember at some point if I moved a page, a redirect happened
> automatically. Can this have been the case or was I dreaming? :-)

It might have been coincidence, because we installed some wildcard redirects
during the wiki migration.
I believe the current behaviour of moin Wiki is to not set up redirects
automatically.

You can set up pages with a redirect clause manually, _but_ those pages will
potentially clutter the search and page listings, so this makes sense mostly
when you want a page to appear in two locations explicitly, i.e. for better
click-through navigation.

When you want to move a page, because it was at the wrong place, better have a
look at http://wiki.fsfe.org/WikiAdmin/Redirections

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉