[WikiCaretakers] Need help with understanding redirects

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 2 12:18:53 CEST 2017

Hi Thomas,

On 01.06.2017 22:37, Thomas Doczkal wrote:
> On 05/29/2017 02:17 PM, Erik Albers wrote:
>> So, from my understanding I write the following rule:
>>
>> Redirect permanent "/Migrated/Reasons_for_schools_to_use_Free_Software"
>> "/Activities/Education/Reasons_for_schools_to_use_Free_Software"
>>
>> right?
>>
>> And, where do I put it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>    Erik
>>
> May I ask you why you need to write a new Rule which redirects from
> Migrated to something?

Because of this:

On 29.05.2017 14:17, Erik Albers wrote:
> Example: the edu-team is worried because their leaflets are no more
> available from the outside and the links in all the blogs etc are broken.

People of the education team have written blog posts in the meantime that link
to wiki pages who have been under /migrated/ in the last year. If you read
their blogposts now and you click on the link, this linke leads you to
wiki.fsfe.org/migrated/something and you get a "page does not exist".

The same is true for an inestimable amount of links to several wiki-pages from
multiple resources (blogs, news, social media posts and even our very own
news-section picking up the example from the Fellowship elections)

That is why I see the need to redirect these broken pages to their new pages
now. I mean we simply cannot change the links from the outside. I propose to
do it page by page, whenever we get aware of broken links or someone complains
like in the current case the edu-team.

> In the beginning of your mail you wrote that you
> are not happy with links pointing to Migrated and then in the next step
> you want to point from migrated to something. It would be better to get
> rid of redirects pointing to Migrated and have them redirect to the
> right destination.

haha, sure : )

But we cannot. I am talking about all the links in the web out there that have
been set in the last year or so in that we had the /migrated section.

We cannot change them.

> Your assumption of 'direct' is wrong. You have
> multiple redirects which you will find out if you use something like
> 'request policy' for Firefox and have to apply each redirect. This can
> be really annoying ...

I do not know what assumption you mean, but I am totally aware of this
problem, as I wrote "if I set a string of commands it leads me through _all_
of them".

However, I think the amount of users who use something like the mentioned
request policy and is getting annoyed is much smaller than the amount of users
who do not use it, click on a link and get annoyed by getting an empty page.

> Can we have a Session to discuss this further?

sure, we can have a phone/video call next week if you like.

> I'm sorry I missed your
> mail as I have lots of work to do and literately no time left for FSFE
> right now.

actually you responded very quick. thank you!

> If you have dead links maybe it's best to write me an e-mail personally
> to doczkal at fsfe.org and CC the Mailinglist (I have different accounts
> then post back to you a diff of the page so you can review it later.
>
> Would that be an option for you?

I guess we are talking about ~50 pages or so. Not sure if this is convenient
for you.

Thank you for taking care,
   Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Free Software Foundation Europe