[WikiCaretakers] Need help with understanding redirects

Thu Jun 1 22:37:53 CEST 2017

On 05/29/2017 02:17 PM, Erik Albers wrote:
> So, from my understanding I write the following rule:
>
> Redirect permanent "/Migrated/Reasons_for_schools_to_use_Free_Software"
> "/Activities/Education/Reasons_for_schools_to_use_Free_Software"
>
> right?
>
> And, where do I put it?
>
> Thanks,
>    Erik

May I ask you why you need to write a new Rule which redirects from
Migrated to something? In the beginning of your mail you wrote that you
are not happy with links pointing to Migrated and then in the next step
you want to point from migrated to something. It would be better to get
rid of redirects pointing to Migrated and have them redirect to the
right destination. Your assumption of 'direct' is wrong. You have
multiple redirects which you will find out if you use something like
'request policy' for Firefox and have to apply each redirect. This can
be really annoying ...

Can we have a Session to discuss this further? I'm sorry I missed your
mail as I have lots of work to do and literately no time left for FSFE
right now.

We had two really successful days but nevertheless two days is just two
days and the amount was just to much for just the three of us in Essen.

If you have dead links maybe it's best to write me an e-mail personally
to doczkal at fsfe.org and CC the Mailinglist (I have different accounts