[WikiCaretakers] Wiki Sprint 2017?

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Thu Feb 9 17:53:49 CET 2017

Hi Paul,

On Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2017 16:22:17 CET Paul Hänsch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:45:05PM +0100, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> > Now might be a good time to plan for the annual wiki sprint 2017. Also,
> > FOSDEM is just around the corner. While I personally cannot be there this
> > year, it's still an opportunity to think about our plans for the wiki
> > caretakers initiative.
>
> I have set up a page with ToDo items:
> http://wiki.fsfe.org/Teams/WikiCaretakers/Sprint2017

Thanks! (… also for updating the status on Teams/WikiCaretakers)

Regarding the EventCalendar:
I'm not sure if I can share your (basically) positive assessment of the
plugin. You already mentioned the ical export as a missing feature, but that's
only the tip of the iceberg:

- the EventCalendar needs explicit cache cleaning
- many people seem to find the syntax hard to use
- missing timezone support
- inability to import external event sources
- missing ical feed (just mentioning this again - probably already part of
your point "ical export + rss feed")
- no automatic sync to eal's event form

Disclaimer: I'm not sure every single point of these even needs fixing, but
these are the complaints that I remember hearing.

All in all I think this warrants a reevaluation whether another (standalone?)
calendar/event page would be a better fit, or if the EventCalendar plugin is
still the best solution all-in-all.

> > And most importantly: Any ideas on how we can/should announce the wiki
> > sprint to maximise participation?
>
> Breaking everything seems to have yielded some interest last time ;-)

Let's file this under "Plan B" ;-)

> I believe there is some "Message of the day" function in the wiki. A kind of
> big red box on top of all wiki pages. To regular wiki users this is
> probably going to have the highest visibility. Before turning this on, we
> should have some ressources to link to, like "How to participate", "Whom to
> talk to", "What to do", etc.

Agreed.

Cheers,
  Johannes