[WikiCaretakers] IRC log,

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Wed Apr 19 16:31:30 CEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:26:39AM +0200, FSFE wrote:
> >  the IRC log is really hard to read on a webbrowser/mobile devices because
> > there are somehow no newlines ...
>
> I'm going to copy here our wikicaretakers team. I'm guessing you mean the
> IRC log related to the Husting of the Fellowship representatives?
>
> I don't know if it's possible, but maybe there are some ways in which it can
> be formatted in the wiki to make it more accessible.

Assuming you are talking about
https://wiki.fsfe.org/Activities/Election/FellowshipElection_2017#Log

I have run this through a sed script to reformat it as definition list, which
should look much better.
I think it was right of the original author to put this as code block, and it
is correct behaviour of the automatic formatter to not insert automatic line
breaks in code.
Since I am not aware of any standard format for chat logs, and since we are
rarely putting logs like that on the wiki, I do not think it will be worthwile
to write an automatic wiki parser for chat logs.

I hope the formatting of the current page will serve as an example for authors
who want to insert chat logs in the future.

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉