[WikiCaretakers] Conclusions? [was: Wiki - not open to external volunteers?]

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 28 21:01:15 CEST 2016

Hi Johannes,

> (3b) I suggested to make the process less complicated. In particular to
> require fewer communication round-trips for the new volunteer. Suggested
> wording: [1]
> Any position on that?

Ah, I might have forgotten to say. I agree with making the process
easier and in the specifications for the new account management
system, I've included this as a requirement for the first step (we'll
start looking for an intern to help with writing this in a week or two).

The reason we can not do it in the short term is these two steps:

  1. Register for an account
  2. We will contact the person who referred you for details

The registration form doesn't have a field for referrals, and there's no
easy way to store this. So we don't have any way to know where the person
comes from to ask for details. That's why we had the step in the process
so far that the coordinator needs to have some role in this to be more
active in the communication with fellowship@ so we can authenticate the
registered volunteer.

We might be able to do something on shorter notice than rewriting the
account system. I could hack the registration form to have something
in there but in order to make this reasonable, there's one thing which
is desperately missing and which has been missing for some time:

  A LIST OF TEAMS :-)

It's on my list to clarify which teams we have and put the information
about them on the wiki, including getting in touch with the coordinators
and making sure we and they *know* who the coordinators are. I'd also
want to create a handbook for coordinators on the wiki.

If someone is interested in some extracurricular activities on helping
me with this, I'd be happy for any help :-)

--
Jonas Öberg, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation Europe | jonas at fsfe.org
Your donation enables our work (fsfe.org/donate)