[WikiCaretakers] Conclusions? [was: Wiki - not open to external volunteers?]

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 28 20:16:53 CEST 2016

Hi,

So: Did we reach any conclusions from this discussion?

To summarize the thread up to now:

(1) Jonas observed that it's also possible to make pages world writable.

(2) Hugo mentioned that this is not a solution, as it does not allow people to
subscribe to wiki changes. He said the current process deters people from
getting an account, and that he feels that validation by a coordinator should
not be required.
Hugo then suggested that we could make wiki accounts a special case, i.e.
allow wiki-only accounts in addition to full accounts (if I understood that
correct)

(3a) Jonas and Albert were against indroducing special cases, and implied that
wiki-only accounts would still require manual intervention, thus having the
same workload for less benefit.

(3b) I suggested to make the process less complicated. In particular to
require fewer communication round-trips for the new volunteer. Suggested
wording: [1]
Any position on that?

In the meantime, I've renamed the page, adding some infos from this discussion
and spiltting it into two different viewpoints. I've not done any
streamlining, though…

  Johannes

[1] https://lists.fsfe.org/pipermail/wikicaretakers/2016-September/000034.html

--