[WikiCaretakers] Wiki - not open to external volunteers?

Albert Dengg albert at fsfe.org
Mon Sep 19 09:02:57 CEST 2016

hi,
On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 07:46:08PM +0200, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Not necessarily. Can't we consider the wiki a special case? Why does the
> > subscription to the wiki necessarily need to be validated by a
> > coordinator, etc.?
>
> I'm not sure we want yet one more special case. We already have one for
> the web pages and trac, and introducing the current mechanism was to avoid
> such special cases :-)
>
> I would be happier if we make the registration process easier though. That
> it currently requires a coordinator to validate the account is because it
> involves some manual work.
well, special cases should be avoided if possible.
also:
even when we had guest accounts in the wiki, we requiered aproval
and manual activation because we had lot's of spam registrations...

also, i would think if somebody want's to do a real contribution,
the contact point to somebody within fsfe and therefore the extra
burden is minimal imho.

from my expirience, lot's of smaller wiki installations requiere
manual registration ("send an email to that address if you want to
have an coount") nowadays, as otherwise combating wiki spam is quite
a bit of work.

the other question is:
for people who just want to do one or two edits, obviously the
burden is relativ high if they don't want to become regular
contributers...however, the question is how much would we gain from
these people, given that our wiki is used to coordinate our
activities/work or document our infrastructure.

regards,
albert