[WikiCaretakers] Conclusions? [was: Wiki - not open to external volunteers?]

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 9 19:52:03 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm adding my thoughts as well, just to tweak this a little here and there...
If I delve too far/too soon into technical details, please feel free to ignore
me as you see fit.

On Mittwoch, 9. November 2016 08:40:02 CET Jonas Oberg wrote:
> > What I would love to have, and please give comments on this, is a Teams
> > page structured something like this:
> >     Blah blah introduction
> >
> >     Topical teams
> >     -------------
> >     System-hackers   WikiCaretakers   Translators ...
> >
> >     Country teams
> >     -------------
> >     Austria      Nordics     France    Germany ...
> >
> >     Local groups
> >     ------------
> >     Aberdeen   Bari   Berlin   Athens  Vienna ...

As mentioned before Erik and Fernando were included, this would seem natural
to me as well.

> jzarl suggested using categories to separate topical and country teams,
> so we would have two categories:
>
>    Category/CountryTeam Category/TopicalTeam

...these Categories would be used for the Teams/ namespace only, and are
simply used to allow automatic grouping on the Teams page.

Technically speaking, only one of these two categories are really necessary.
If in doubt, I would only use Category/CountryTeam to make sure that a team
page always is visible even if one failed to add the necessary category.

> In addition, we also have a category for inactive teams:
>
>    Category/Inactive Category/Active

We currently only use Category/Inactive for the reasons stated above. You can
always negate a category search: "-category:Category/Inactive"

> And each local group also has their own category, for instance
> Category/Austria.

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. As currently used, the Category/
<Country> categories are intended to mark country-specific information.

For example, that may be:
 - the "home country" for local groups and country teams
   (as in Teams/Austria, LocalGroup/Linz)
 - the country where some event takes place
 - the country for which some information is relevant
   (as in Activities/CompulsoryRouters, Migrated/TaxDeductibility)

If the country team for Austria, or some local group want to use their own
category to mark pages that are pertinent to that specific team, they are of
course free to do so. It's just that this shouldn't clash with the existing
usage of country categories.

> What we are missing are reasonable templates. We started using one
> for our teams, but I think we also need to have something for the
> local groups. To start this, we need to define what information
> we expect any team to fill out on their page. They may add additional
> information, of course, but the basics should be there.

I strongly agree. New local group pages would certainly benefit from a
template, and existing group would often benefit as well.

> From my side, I would like each team or group to have information
> about:
>
>  The coordinator and (if appointed) deputy coordinator
>  The mailing list(s) used for exchange between members
>  A 1-3 sentence description of the team
>  Information about how someone becomes active (join mailing list,
>     get in touch with coordinator, etc)

I would also like some guidenance about the language used for that
information. Based on my experiences with the Teams template, I would say that
having the information in English benefits us wiki caretakers. OTOH "normal"
readers of those pages should be able to read the information in their native
language (this is even more important for local group pages).

Maybe a bilingual information block would be a compromise?

Cheers,
  Johannes

--
Johannes Zarl-Zierl