[WikiCaretakers] Report about EU/Microsoft expenses

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Fri Aug 5 17:04:14 CEST 2016

Hello Olga,

> I wanted to create the page "EU Microsoft contracts". It did not work,
> so I created the wiki page under the Migrated (it was possible to create
> it there and it seemed ok, since it didn't fit in any other existing
> category).

Ok, I see your problem now. What you call a category is called a namespace in
"our" terminology. Namespaces are mostly like folders in the filesystem.
In MoinMoin categories are orthogonal to namespaces: a page always belongs to
exactly one namespace[1], but can have any number of categories (those
"Category/Foo" entries in the last line of the page.

[1] in your case, the root/global namespace.

> Do you know how I can create pages which do not fall under
> any broader category, without having to create them under Migrated, for
> example?

When we reorganized the wiki this year, we decided not to have pages in the
global namespace - formerly there have been many pages that had no real
connection to anything else on the wiki. Now only the wiki admin can create
global pages.

For your case, I see several options:

a) If the page documents "projects, campaigns and various public activities of
the FSFE and its Fellows.", put it in the namespace "Activities"
Eventually, all advocacy work should go here as well, but we didn't have time
yet to reorganize the "Advocacy" namespace.

a1) If the page is background info regarding some project, reflect this in the
wiki name. E.g. if you are planning a campaign "Free Government" that aims to
reduce the influence of proprietary software companies on politics, and your
page "EU Microsoft contracts" is for this campaign, you should call it:

Activities/FreeGovernment/EUMicrosoftContracts

Ideally, you would also create "Activities/FreeGovernment" and give some
general information on the campaign and a link to the subpage.

b) Have the page as subpage to your local group page or to a Team page
→This is good for pages that really have nowhere else to go. The advantage to
having it in the global namespace is that one immediately knows who to contact
if one has questions regarding the page (e.g. "is this still relevant?")

c) If really no namespace works for you, propose a new namespace and discuss
it on wikicaretakers@

HTH,
  Johannes

--