[REUSE] REUSE helper tool version 1.0.0 released

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Thu May 19 10:43:58 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

What a day! We officially released version 1.0.0 of the REUSE helper
tool. There are no breaking changes but a ton of new features that make
adopting the REUSE best practices once again easier.

Some important features/fixes:

* You can use `reuse addheader --recursive` to add licensing/copyright
  information to all files in a path. Combined with
  `--skip-unrecognised` or `--skip-existing`, this makes the bulk of a
  adoption process much easier.

* Some procedures can easily be scripted, e.g. finding out the year of
  the first commit of a file. We have documented some helpful one-liners
  that can perfectly be used as an input for the REUSE helper tool:
  https://reuse.readthedocs.io/en/stable/scripts.html

* You now have the possibility to ignore areas of a file that contain
  strings that may falsely be detected as copyright or license
  statements. Just wrap them in `REUSE-IgnoreStart` and
  `REUSE-IgnoreEnd`.

* We also have better support for unary "+" operators in license
  identifiers.

Please find the full changelog here:
https://github.com/fsfe/reuse-tool/releases/tag/v1.0.0

The new version is already available via PyPI and Docker images (also
AArch64), and will soon land in major distributions.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. Please feel free to provide
feedback, create issues, or directly start a pull request.

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager -- Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl -- @mxmehl