[REUSE] Objection to use of GitHub for REUSE maintenance

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Tue Dec 21 15:37:35 UTC 2021

~ Drew DeVault [2021-12-21 14:27 +0100]:
> FOSS projects should use FOSS infrastructure, especially when they're
> headed up by the FSFE. REUSE should not be on GitHub, and should never
> have been on GitHub.

I agree to the former. As already stated in the issue you created [^1]
REUSE is the only exception from this principle in the FSFE.

I hope that Gitea will soon implement a change which would allow users
of GitHub (and probably other platforms) to quickly get an account with
our own Git server [^2]. That would enable us to make the switch while
keeping it rather trivial for contributors to participate (and even
easier for those who care about software freedom).

Best,
Max

[^1]: https://github.com/fsfe/reuse-tool/issues/443

[^2]: https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues/7014

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl