[REUSE] REUSE.yaml

Gary O'Neall gary at sourceauditor.com
Sat Jul 25 00:00:00 UTC 2020

Greetings all,

+1 on not defining overlapping or duplicating terms with SPDX.  REUSE and
SPDX are already reasonably well aligned in terms of definitions, so I don't
think it would be too much of a stretch to leverage some of the formats.

The one feature missing from SPDX is a pattern match for the files - this
may be a useful feature to add to SPDX in general.

I completely agree with the concern on too many required fields.  The SPDX
community has removed many of the mandatory fields when a
"filesAnalyzed=false" is used.  Of course this does require the
"filesAnalyzed" field since the default is set to true for compatibility.
Somewhat inconvenient and perhaps something we should address in SPDX 3.0.

Another mandatory field which can be problematic is the SPDX document
namespace.  The value of this is required to be in a URI format and is
required to be unique.

Let me know if there are other fields which are of concern.

One other thing to note, we are adding profiles in SPDX 3.0.  Profiles is a
defined subset of fields for a specific purpose.  A group of automotive
manufacturers are already using a profile for "SDPX Lite" in SPDX version
2.2 (see https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/appendix-VIII-SPDX-Lite/).  SPDX
Lite is a valid SPDX document intended to be built with minimal or no tools.

Let me know if there is interest in creating a REUSE profile in SPDX.  The
REUSE group could determine which fields are mandatory and which fields are
optional.  Myself and the SPDX tech team would be happy to collaborate on
the effort.

Best regards,
Gary