[REUSE] MIT License

Carmen Bianca Bakker carmenbianca at fsfe.org
Thu Apr 9 21:45:43 UTC 2020

CC'ing mailing list. Full quote at the bottom.

Je ven, 2020-04-10 je 00:11 +0300, Ashkar Dev skribis:

> Thanks for replay
> These are explanations of my question:
>
> if I have a page and it includes some codes, some of them are mine code and there is also some part from some MIT Licensed Projects so is it legal to add all licenses at the top? I mean not adding the License directly with the code but at the top of its file.
>
> because I am on developing a project and used MIT Licensed codes of others and I collected the Licenses but now I'm not sure which code is with which license and also the code was may be modified so if at each of my code files I add just all license texts is it enough right?

That's a tough one. You should make sure which code is under which
licence. If you somehow can't do that, that's a bit of trouble which I
don't know the answer to.

> > Standard disclaimer that I'm a lawyer and can't give legal advice.
>
> you meant you are a lawyer but it's not legal advice, right?

Fix: I'm NOT a laywer and can't give legal advice.

My word, I cocked that one up.

> > The REUSE specification suggests the following things:
> > - Include the license text in LICENSES/.
> > - Include copyright notices in all relevant files.
>
> you meant both of them must be applied or one of them?

Both. Well, "must". REUSE is a set of recommendations, not legal
obligations :p

Kindly,
Carmen