[REUSE] MIT License

Carmen Bianca Bakker carmenbianca at fsfe.org
Thu Apr 9 11:00:33 UTC 2020

Je ĵaŭ, 2020-04-09 je 00:07 +0300, Ashkar Dev skribis:
> Hi,
> can you explain the point that says to include the license of used code, but can it be included inside the file but not directly with copied code?
> > The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

Hey Ashkar,

Standard disclaimer that I'm a lawyer and can't give legal advice.

> but can it be included inside the file but not directly with copied code?

I struggle to understand the precise question here. Your obligations
are twofold:

- You need to include the license text somewhere.
- You need to include the copyright notice somewhere.

The license doesn't say *where* to do this. You have some liberties
there.

The REUSE specification suggests the following things:

- Include the license text in LICENSES/.
- Include copyright notices in all relevant files.

MIT licenses are unfortunately a little annoying, because the license
text itself is edited to include the copyright holders. This
effectively means that every MIT license is "unique". There is no
suggested way of dealing with this from REUSE's end.

Yours with kindness,
Carmen