[REUSE] Support / repurpose central LICENSE file

nicolas1.toussaint at orange.com nicolas1.toussaint at orange.com
Thu Mar 12 16:55:58 UTC 2020

Hi all,

My 2 cents, and a proposition.

I would rather disfavor option 1, simply because it does not solve the
problems :)
- no indication of {in|out}bound licenses
- no clear SPDX identification of the license

I would intuitively favor option 2, because:
- today's LICENSE file contains a license text, and not an SPDX identifier.
   That's an inconsistency compared to other license identification in
the REUSE specs.
- It addresses the {in|out}bound licenses problem nicely
- We can still support old-style LICENSE full text -> we don't have to
fix people's minds.

Now, to circumvent the problem of re-purposing the LICENSE file,
  why not introduce a new file, like "LICENSE.reuse" ?
- we can still store the license text in the LICENSE file
- it is close enough to LICENSE so that it attracts people who
   are looking for compliance info
- it would ease the adoption of this standard by GitHub & co
- this new file could be generated automatically by the REUSE tools.
- it would take precedence over the LICENSE file (I suppose)

I would just modify the content of the file:
- to insert a link to REUSE specs
- make it more easily parsable (maybe see with the SPDX team to create
   new tags like SPDX-License-Identifier)

I would not want to mess with the README.md file, that is not made to be
parsable,
  unless adding the SPDX stanza to identify the outbound license.
- not sure that updating README.md be will easier than a LICENSE.reuse
- one can add a pointer/link to the LICENSE file in the README.
- REUSE tools could also automatically insert relevant lines in the README
  like it does in source code files.

Nico