[REUSE] Introduce folder.license file

Carmen Bianca Bakker carmenbianca at fsfe.org
Tue Mar 10 09:32:33 UTC 2020

Je mar, 2020-03-10 je 07:14 +0000, Geyer-Blaumeiser Lars (IOC/PDL4)
skribis:
> Hi Carmen, all,
>
> concerning your point if the equal mechanism between file.license and folder.license. As I understand it, the preferred solution is that the license information is IN the file, not at the side of the file in another file, right. This is only the compromise for not being able to add the license information into the file. But wouldn't it be closer to the original idea to add this folder license information IN the folder instead of at the side of the folder.
>
> In addition  to Jeffs remark, also zipping a subfolder is much easier, if the folder contains all necessary information.

Hi Lars,

Yes, sorry, my message hadn't made it clear. That is my fault. If we go
this route, I would be in favour of putting this file *inside* of the
folder, knowing that it wouldn't mesh elegantly with the existing
`file.license` method.

And you're also right: `file.license` is a fallback mechanism if you
can't put the information inside of the file. Technically so is the
file that is proposed in this thread.

Yours with kindness,
Carmen