[Reuse] REUSE tutorial

Carmen Bianca Bakker carmenbianca at fsfe.org
Fri May 3 14:49:03 UTC 2019

Je ven, 2019-05-03 je 14:41 +0000, Peter Moser (NOI Südtirol/Alto
Adige) skribis:
> On 4/25/19 7:29 PM, Carmen Bianca Bakker wrote:
> > But back on topic: Valid-License-Identifier serves almost the exact
> > same purpose as SPDX-License-Identifier: Identifying the license of the
> > below text. If you have a COPYING file, you don't need to analyse the
> > text to figure out what license it is, you just need to read the Valid-
> > License-Identifier tag.
>
> Why do we introduce a new tag here and do not reuse the existing
> SPDX-License-Identifier within license-text files?

See https://github.com/fsfe/reuse-docs/issues/4

Basically, `SPDX-License-Identifier` is _specifically_ meant for "the
following code is licensed under this license".

When used as a header for the license text, that is false. The text of
the GPL is NOT licensed under the GPL. Therefore we needed a different
tag.

Kindly,
Carmen