[Reuse] New drafts for tutorial and FAQ

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Thu Apr 18 16:38:38 UTC 2019

Dear all,

As a result of a rather spontaneous sprint, we have a second draft of
the tutorial and a first rough draft of the FAQ which could use a
cautious read and your valuable contributions:

  Tutorial: https://github.com/fsfe/reuse-docs/blob/tutorial/tutorial/tutorial.md

  FAQ: https://github.com/fsfe/reuse-docs/blob/faq/faq/faq.md

As you will notice, the initial 3 REUSE steps in the tutorial have been
changed slightly in order to integrate more nicely with our target
audience (primarily devs of small/medium-sized projects). It also does
not give many different options but recommend a sane default. In
general, it's much more engaging and more clearly structured, and takes
the more helpful output of the current beta version of the reuse tool
into consideration.

Edge cases and additional questions are handled in the new FAQ. They
contain really general questions ("What is copyright?") and also complex
stuff. We haven't answered the questions yet but we thought that
collection typical uncertainties first is the higher priority. Please
feel free to provide answers to some of them via creating a pull
request.

Regarding the specification, we haven't made any progress today. On the
one hand, this will be a big project and we still have some open
questions (see upcoming mails), on the other hand we consider the
priority of having more useful hands-on info for developers soon higher
than waiting for everything to be finished.

At this occasion, I should mention that we've heavily reorganised the
repositories. Now, everything is hosted under <https://github.com/fsfe>,
and the website has been split in documents (tutorial, spec, faq) and
the actual website source, and mirrored to <https://git.fsfe.org/reuse>.
This allows for the most open collaboration but also decentralisation to
some degree. The old GitHub org will probably be deprecated.

Please let me know how you like it. If you have some spare minutes,
please also consider to contribute your knowledge by answering some FAQ,
or create an issue report if you see need. Thanks!

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl