[Reuse] Where to put a licence header

Carmen Bianca Bakker carmenbianca at fsfe.org
Mon Apr 8 11:51:51 UTC 2019

Hi Max, Reinhard,

My view is that copyright notices are free (read: gratis).  It doesn't
cost you anything to slap a copyright notice on something, and it seems
incredibly unlikely to me that you will face legal repercussions if you
put a copyright notice on an uncopyrightable work.

So I just put copyright notices on things that mightn't otherwise be
creative copyrightable works.  But maybe that's an incredibly naive
approach.

One problem I do face, however, is that the licence often doesn't make
sense for miscellaneous files.  A lot of licences refer to "software"
and use very technical language.  When I do my translations for GNOME
and put the "This file is distributed under the same license as
$PACKAGE" notice at the top, I'm releasing non-software under a licence
that might say:

> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
> a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
> "Software")

The translation is not software and it stretches the definition of what
it means to be a "documentation file".

But in practice this hasn't caused any issues.

With kindness,
Carmen