[Reuse] Draft of REUSE tutorial

Matija Šuklje matija at suklje.name
Wed Apr 3 15:55:42 UTC 2019

Die 14. 03. 19 et hora 16:55 Carmen Bianca Bakker scripsit:
> > It is nicely written and I specially like the story telling.
> > It makes it much more fun to read and understand.

Agreed. It’s a good walk-through. Kudos!

> > - I would remove "(though they may also begin with ©)",
because it is just a detail

For a tutorial, I agree we should keep to just one choice, and
perhaps mention at the end or in a footnote that there are other
options that are also according to spec.

But, I would suggest to use “©” as the default. I realise there is
some reluctance to change, but the fact remains that the copyright
sign is the only thing that is written in actual law (incl. Berne
Convention and several national copyright laws) consistently.
Using the word “Copyright” is at best in accordance with copyright
laws of English-speaking jurisdictions, where “©” is also
accepted. If the tutorial is about best practices, we should apply
them, and IMHO © is best practice.

In a similar vain, I think the years in the copyright should be
entered just once as best practice. Year ranges will inevitabely
eventually pop up the question on when one should update the year
in the header. To which my personal opinion is that the year
should reflect just the year when that file was created and then
be ignored.

To keep this e-mail short, you can find my reasoning against the
year range in the following thread:
https://gitlab.com/tildes/tildes/issues/161#note_89229746

> - How to ignore files (i.e., mark them with CC0, because this
> gets asked a lot).
>
> - How to lint the project automagically.

+1 on both

Also, it would make sense to point the actual SPDX license
(plain)text repo as is done in the spec already:
https://github.com/reusesoftware/reuse/pull/2

On that note, what should we do with the rest of the spec issues:
https://github.com/reusesoftware/reuse/issues

cheers,
Matija
--