[FSFE PR][EN] Upcycling Android: Keep using your phone with Free Software

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 25 08:04:45 UTC 2021

 = Upcycling Android: Keep using your phone with Free Software =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20211125-01.en.html ]

In the European Week for Waste Reduction the FSFE launches its new
initiative "Upcycling Android": Every time we keep using our phone
instead of buying a new one we support a more sustainable use of our
resources. Upcycling Android helps people to tackle software
obsolescence and to keep using their phones with Free Software.

It is the European Week for Waste Reduction, a week that is dedicated to
promoting the reuse of products and materials and to helping save
resources and reduce waste in everyday life. The FSFE joins in with the
new initiative "Upcycling Android" [1] - an initiative to help saving
resources by reusing one of our most valuable devices of our daily life,
our phones.

Every year, manufacturers produce 1.5 billion phones worldwide - and
unfortunately, probably almost as many are thrown away after what is
usually a far too short hardware lifespan. The short lifespan of these
phones often stems from so-called "software obsolescence", the situation
in which users are faced with the dilemma of either buying new hardware
or living with outdated software. The environmental consequences of
these short hardware lifespans can be dire. To help users in overcoming
this problem, with Upcycling Android we enable people to upcycle Android
phones with Free Software. Every time we keep using our current phone
instead of buying a new one we help avoid the production of new phones
and the growing disposal of e-waste.

Upcycling Android explains the issue of software obsolescence in the
Android world and helps people flashing their phones with Free Software
operating systems [2]. This process not only offers you greater control
of your phone, it can also provide a better experience than using
proprietary operating systems. But most important: in cases where phones
stop receiving software updates from the manufacturing company,
switching to a Free Software operating system helps keeping your phone
up-to-date. This way you can keep using your device, help the
environment, and enjoy many more benefits. Free Software gives you full
control over your device, as you can finally uninstall apps you could
not before, and you profit from extended privacy protection - just to
mention a few.

 === Political background & information material ===

The FSFE is steadily committed to a more sustainable use of technology
with Free Software. In the beginning of the year, we participated in the
EU consultation [3] about "Energy labelling of mobile phones and
tablets" and later in the year we published a study [4] on software
obsolescence with a call for Device Neutrality and Upcycling of
Software.

We have a huge collection of information and background material [5] to
help spread the word about the environmental impact of our phones. And
how to help reducing the problem by upcycling your Android device with
Free Software. The range of material includes stickers, infographics,
leaflets, videos, podcasts, articles and studies.

 === Upcoming activities ===

In the upcoming months, the FSFE's activities within the Upcycling
Android initiative will be two-fold: In cooperation with local groups we
provide several workshops [6] where people can gather and network around
the topic of Upcycling Android, can experiment or receive help in
flashing their phones. In addition, we watch and engage within the
current discussions on the European level surrounding the "Sustainable
Products Initiative" and the "Circular Electronics Initiative". Within
these activities we aim at explaining the benefits of Free Software for
a more sustainable use of our products to decision-makers.

Discuss this [7]

 1: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/upcyclingandroid.en.html#head
 2: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/howtoupcycle.en.html#head
 3: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210127-01.en.html
 4: https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20211015-01.en.html
 5: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/informationmaterial.en.html#head
 6: https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/workshops.en.html#head
 7: https://community.fsfe.org/t/759

  == About the Free Software Foundation Europe ==

  Free Software Foundation Europe is a charity that empowers users to
  control technology. Software is deeply involved in all aspects of our
  lives; and it is important that this technology empowers rather than
  restricts us. Free Software gives everybody the rights to use,
  understand, adapt and share software. These rights help support other
  fundamental freedoms like freedom of speech, press and privacy.

  The FSFE helps individuals and organisations understand how Free
  Software contributes to freedom, transparency and self-determination. We
  enhance users' rights by abolishing barriers to Free Software adoption,
  encourage people to use and develop Free Software, and provide resources
  to enable everyone to further promote Free Software in Europe.

  https://fsfe.org